Kentucky-Texas A&M Postgame Notes. Texas A&M 83, Kentucky 71
Team Records and Series Notes
- Opening its home Southeastern Conference schedule, Kentucky is 10-5 overall, 1-1 in the SEC. Texas A&M is 12-3, 2-0 in the league.
- The series is tied 2-2 with all games played in Lexington. This was the first men's basketball meeting between UK and Texas A&M as members of the SEC.
- On Tuesday, Kentucky will have its third game in six days as the Wildcats play host to border-rival Tennessee. The 7 p.m. game will be televised on ESPN.
- Kentucky started with the lineup of Ryan Harrow, Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress, Nerlens Noel and Willie Cauley-Stein for the third-straight game.
- Elston Turner of A&M came out hot with 20 points in the first 13 minutes of the game as the Aggies had their largest lead of the half, 29-20, at the 7:12 mark.
- Turner finished the first half with 25 points as A&M led 36-31 at intermission.
- The first half continued to tell the tale for Kentucky as the Wildcats are 10-0 this season when ahead at halftime, 0-5 when trailing.
- Trailing 40-31, Kentucky rallied with a 12-2 run to take the lead at 43-42.
- Tied at 63 with 4:33 remaining, A&M got 11-straight points, including a pair of three-pointers at the expiration of the shot clock, to go up 74-63 with 1:32 to play.
- Kentucky got no closer than nine points the rest of the way as A&M went on to victory.
- Turner led all scorers with 40 points.
- The last UK opponent to score 40 was Chris Jackson of LSU, who had 41 on Feb. 15, 1990. UK won that game 100-95.
- Kentucky is 67-12 in SEC home openers, including 3-1 under Coach John Calipari.
- Willie Cauley-Stein had six points and three rebounds.
- Has made 21 of 29 shots (72.4 percent) over the last six games.
- Archie Goodwin led the Wildcats in scoring with 17 points, his 13th double-figure game of the season.
- Ryan Harrow tallied 14 points.
- Harrow has scored double figures in six-straight games and is averaging 16.2 over that stretch.
- Julius Mays had seven points, four assists and no turnovers.
- Has a 24-6 assist-turnover ratio over the last eight games.
- Nerlens Noel had 15 points, 11 rebounds, set a career high with six assists, tied his career high with seven blocked shots and had four steals.
- His second double-double of the season
- Has at least six rebounds in every game this season.
- Has blocked at least one shot in every game this season and at least two rejections in eight-straight games.
- Has made 32 of 44 shots (72.7 percent) in the last eight games.
- Alex Poythress had 12 points and six rebounds.
- His 10th double-figure scoring game of the season.